Traditionally, interior designers use wood, tiles, paint, fabric and stones to improve the look, feel, and class of a home or office. Metal is, however, being used to increase the richness of the overall design. Metal is a stiff material, which presents designers with the challenge of how to cut it into beautiful shapes. There is a need to choose the right tools to cut and shape metal to suit the designer's needs. Here are a few of them:
- Band Saw – A band saw is a blade made of a continuous chain of rotating teeth. It is usually mounted on a bench, therefore, giving the operator room to hold and shape the metal. It is useful for cutting metal pipes, rods, and bars. It can also be used for custom design wood cutting.
- Hack Saw – The hacksaw, a fine-toothed blade on a C-shaped frame, is a standard fixture in any home or workshop. It is very useful in metal cutting since the blade is changeable to cut various types of metal.
- Chop Saw – A chop saw is a power tool made up of a cutting wheel and motor mounted on a pivot. The metal being cut is held in an inbuilt vice and the wheel lowered to cut as desired. It is very useful in cutting angles on a metallic sheet.
- Grinder – A grinder is an abrasive cutting power tool. It consists of a grinding wheel that removes particles from the surface of a metal. It is very accurate and useful in refining metal pieces into more precise shapes.
- Cut-Off Machine – A cut-off machine is similar to the chop saw. It is sometimes called an abrasive chop saw. As the name suggests, it is a chop saw whose wheel has no cutting teeth. It operated more like a grinder to cut a metallic piece into two. It is used to cut pieces of a hard metal such as reinforced steel.
Interior design is an ever evolving field that is always adopting technology and new materials to improve the finished product. The most used forms are chrome pieces, sheet metal, rods, pipes and bars. As it sneaks its way into these designs, designers and workers need to have the right tools for metal cutting. Operators need to take care when operating them as most of them are power tools that can easily cause harm.
For more information, click here.